Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year and a time when each of us reflect on the bounty we have received.
But in the busyness of life, we often forget how profoundly impactful something like gratitude can be. What we put out into the world, we receive back, so it makes sense to stop, smell the roses, and give thanks.
The fact is, gratitude makes us happier.
Here's how to incorporate gratitude into your every day:
- Wake up, open the blinds, feel the sunlight on your face and be reminded of the promise of a new day.
- Keep a gratitude journal and jot down things you are thankful for as you think of them.
- Review your calendar at a set time and reflect on all of the great things that happened.
- Give someone an endorsement on social media.
- Thank a service provider for a job well done.
- Give someone an unexpected tip. Pay for someone's parking.
- Mark an anniversary or special occasion.
- Donate your time or money to a good cause.
- Write an old-fashioned thank you note.
- Call your parents or your children to say you love and appreciate them.
- Give at least one compliment.
- Meditate for 10 minutes.
- Before going to sleep, close your eyes and give thanks for the day's blessings.
Start with a few of these every day. Before you know it, you will have created a habit. You'll be feeling even more grateful for your blessings and you will be spreading that love at the same time.