Take time for you!
In the busyness of life, it’s hard to get the time you need to decompress and focus on yourself. But, what happens when you don’t stop, take a break, and recharge your batteries?
We each have our own physical and emotional reaction to overwhelm. And besides the risk of snapping -- or worse, burning out, not feeding your soul could be robbing you of the much-needed time to gain perspective on your life or a situation, tap into your intuition, and ensure that your actions are aligned with your heart’s compass.
By stepping out of your situation – either physically or figuratively, you will see things with gratitude and from a new point of view.
Here are 13 ways to step back and gain perspective:
- Take a walk in a garden and envelop yourself in the innocence, beauty, and sweet smell of the rose.
- Appreciate the imagination of a painting in an art gallery. Notice the colour, tone, lines, shape, texture, and space.
- Sign up for a new class. Learn something new. Stretch your mind.
- Stay in bed all day and get lost in a riveting novel you’ve been meaning to read.
- Soak up some sun and take a float in an outdoor pool. Or, take a bubble bath. Either way, the water will soothe your soul.
- Get physical. Take a walk or run to clear your mind. Or skip or pound it out at the gym. Exercise improves cognitive function, and your ability to see things differently.
- Go shopping alone (grocery shopping not intended). Just browse the shops or buy yourself a treat….an ice cream, a fabulous new pair of shoes, or a small but meaningful trinket. You deserve it!
- Donate your time or unused goods. Connect with those in need and remember just how fortunate you are.
- Book a spa day. Be catered on hand and foot. Close your eyes and listen to the running brook.
- Get some height. Climb a tower, dine on a rooftop patio, or simply stand on your desk and look at your life from a different angle.
- Laugh. Find humour in a TV comedy show, improv, or in an embarrassing situation. Laugh at yourself.
- Sip a cup of fragrant herbal tea as you rock in a rocking chair. Do nothing else but taste the tea, mindfully.
- Meditate for 10 minutes. Sit comfortably, close your eyes or hold your gaze, and simply let your thoughts come and go, as you breathe and relax into the moment. Studies prove that just minutes a day can have a lasting effect on your health!
You never know what you will discover and how much joy one of these simple actions will bring. Better yet, make it a habit to pause and start each day asking yourself:
How can I make myself feel good today?
What can I do to bring in more love and light?